According to the Mayo Clinic Website, 10-15% of couples suffer from infertility. Infertility is defined as not achieving pregnancy while having sex without birth control for six months to a year or longer.
Research Concerning Acupuncture and Infertility
According to this study from Tel Aviv University in Israel, women who used acupuncture and Chinese herbs were able to conceive at a higher rate and carry their babies to full term than women who did not use those methods. Some highlights of the study are:
- 65.5% of women who had intrauterine insemination (IUI) with acupuncture conceived versus 39.4% who didn’t receive acupuncture conceived.
- Women who took Chinese herbs conceived at a 65.5% rate and 41.4% carried their babies full term versus the women who did not take the herbs who conceived at 39.4% and only 26.9% delivered healthy babies.
- Furthermore, the Chinese herb group were on average 39.4 while the control group were 37.1 years old.
You can read the article from the Friends of Tel Aviv University website here: http://www.aftau.org/weblog-medicine–health?&storyid4704=1437&ncs4704=3
- There is a 42% increased success rate using acupuncture in conjunction with IVF.
- Acupuncture normalizes the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis and the menstrual cycle.
- Acupuncture and Chinese herbs are much less expensive than IVF and IUI and work well for couples who can’t afford or are not candidates for these medical interventions.
You can read Dr. Zhang’s article here: http://www.iaac.ca/en/65-962-treating-female-infertility-with-acupuncture-7
According to The British Medical Journal acupuncture improves rates of conception and successful delivery of babies when combined with IVF. You can read the study here: http://www.sinocare.ca/wp-content/pdf/BMJ-rates-of-pregnancy.pdf
Acupuncture Points that Increase Fertility
The first point is known as 婦科 or Fùkē- this is the Gynecology Point. This point is actually a pair of points. It is located on the index finger side of the thumb as seen in the picture. This point is one of the major acupuncture points from Master Tung’s system for treating infertility.
The second point is known as 還巢 or Huán Cháo- which means “Return to the Nest.”This point is also indicated for most gynecological and female endocrine disorders. These points should be used on opposite hands. This acupuncture point is also from Master Tung’s lineage and is used for infertility.
Sān Yīn Jiāo
The third point is called 三陰交 or Sān Yīn Jiāo- this means that this point is the intersection of the three yin channels of the leg. The three yin channels all pass through the genital organs and can treat disorders associated with them. This point is one of the best points for treating gynecological disorders and infertility with acupuncture.
As you can see, dear reader, acupuncture can assist in treating infertility and help achieve pregnancy. Acupuncture and herbal medicine have been used for centuries in helping infertile couples conceive. If you’re interested in learning more or want to make an appointment call (314) 569-0057 today to contact us to make the appointment.